Thursday 29 September 2011

The Shining Light



On a recent Melbourne-to-Hobart flight I had a window seat. But it was above the middle of the wing and facing into the mid-afternoon sun. Not ideal for photography, I thought, but at least I had my camera with me and kept looking. From above a scattering of billowing, showery clouds the view was dominated by the stark shadows of clouds on the water.


I took a tissue, cleaned the inside of the window and made sure the lens was clean. Aiming slightly backwards I was able to frame views between the wing and the distortions of the multi-layered plastic aeroplane window. Given this narrow view I simply watched and waited for a scene to come into view.
The results have deep saturated blues, shimmering pale yellow and orange tinges with the brightest areas rendered almost without colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment